Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greenback Greenback is offline

Default Date Formats

Dave/Nick....many thanks for you tips. I went with the Data/Text to Columns
option and it worked a treat.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Just because data looks like dates, doesn't make them dates.

If you tried changing the format and the display didn't change, then Niek was
guessing that your data isn't really a date. (A real date would show the change
in format.)

Niek suggested putting a formula into another column and creating the date that
way from the cell with the "text date".

Another way is to select that column of dates and do
Data|Text to columns
fixed width
Don't add any lines and remove any that excel added
choose mdy as the date format.

This will convert that selection to real dates.

Now you should be able to format those cells the way you want.

Greenback wrote:

Niek,thanks for the reply, but I am unsure of what you mean (not an expert on
excel at all)...can you clarify?...thanks

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Maybe they aren't real Excel dates, but text. You can check with the ISTEXT() function.
If they a

=DATE(RIGHT(A1,2)+2000,LEFT(A1,2),MID(A1,4,2))
and format as required

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten