Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
James Silverton James Silverton is offline

Default Precision in Excel 2002

Hello, All!

I have read complaints about lack of agreement in the
coefficients of polynomials obtained by fitting trendlines on
the graph and those obtained from LINEST. I had occasion to do
some experiments yesterday using a third order polynomial with
Excel 2002 and, as far as I can tell, at the same number of
decimal places the coefficient results are identical. The data
used had random errors and was not from an exact curve.

Can anyone tell me which versions of Excel can be relied on or
else what problems I should look out for?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not