Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mary Walker Mary Walker is offline

Default date scale problem

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I have never been able to
find a satisfactory answer - I have tired everything and I am beginning to
think it cannot be done and it may be a bug(or feature) of excel. I am using
Microsoft Excel 2002.

I have been keeping an excel spreadsheet to record my weight loss/gain i.e.
two main columns: "date", "pounds". The date column is formatted as "date"
and the pounds column is formatted as "number". My records go back for over
3 years and the entries are not regular; for example in 2004 I went through
a stage of recording my weight most days but in 2005 there is about a 6
month gap where I do not make any entries at all. I have used the scatter
graph to try and display my weight fluctuation over time but the problem is
that the the x-scale (date) axis 2004 readings take up over half the axis
because there are more entries for 2004 than for 2005/06. i.e. the date axis
is not scaling properly.

I have noticed that on smaller graphs (for example only 10 entries of date
against pounds) the results display as expected and the time is to scale,
but when you get to larger graph (like mine) I feel as if Excel is not able
to recognise dates as numbers but only as discrete entries. So when I first
started to use Excel for these purposes, and there were only a small number
of entries, the graph did actually display the date axis to the correct
scale. But not any more ^_^

So, is this a known bug/feature of Excel and/or is there an easy way round
it?