Ken Wright

Cheers Harlan, much appreciated.

--
Regards
Ken.......................

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken Wright wrote...
Hi Harlan, how about the following with no need to array enter I

think?

=LOOKUP(2,1/(C1:C2000<""),ROW(C1:C2000))

Are there any instances where the MATCH function would catch it that

the
LOOKUP wouldn't. I've only just started playing with this use of the
function based on some posts of Aladin's in Mr Excel so just curious.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

=MATCH(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(C1:C2000)))

Aside from the brevity of the MATCH formula, it's processing a single
array, whereas the LOOKUP formula requires two derived arrays. That
can't improve recalc speed. Then there's the all too common equivalence
drawn between a cell evaluation to "" and being blank. If blank or
pseudoblank ("") should be considered equivalent, then

=MATCH(2,1/(C1:C2000<""))

Otherwise, ISBLANK is necessary. While I try to avoid array formulas
whenever I can, there are times when they provide better solutions.
IMO, this is one of those cases.