Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Epinn Epinn is offline

Default Why must the table for Vlookup be sorted in ascending order?

Is it true that under all circumstances I must sort the array table in
**ascending** order so that VLOOKUP will return the proper values? Is it
only necessary when I deal with ranges, say minimum score and a grade?
Appreciate explanation.

I have a column of scores and a corresponding column of grades. e.g. 90 A
80 B 70 C 60 D

I am surprised that if the table is in **descending** order and ˇ§trueˇ¨ is
used as an argument, it doesnˇ¦t work even if I key in the **exact** score
say 90, not 95, not 93. "D" is returned for 90. Wonder why.

Thank you in advance.

Epinn