Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F Dave F is offline

Default Formula Links to seperate workbooks

Hi--

What do you mean by cells that refer to other workbooks, but which are not
in formulas, work fine? Any cell which references another workbook is, by
definition, a formula.

In any event, have your users go to Tools--Options--Calculation, and click
Update remote references and save external link values. See if that solves
the problem.

"Brokovich" wrote:

Hi there

I am currently working on a spreadsheet which conatins formulas that
link to numerous other spreadsheets.

The problem I am having is that when you open the new spreasdheet, in
the cells which contain formulas linking to the other spreadsheets they
display #VALUE! unless you actually open the source spreadsheets.

I want the formulas in the cells to update without the user having to
open the source spreadsheet, otherwise there will be no point in having
the new spreadsheet! I don't want the users to have to open numerous
spreadsheets to view the information they need.

One thing I have noticed is that cells that link to another spreadsheet
(but do not incorporate formulas) are working fine, although you do have
to enter the password needed to access that particular source
spreadsheet.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

--