Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff Biff is offline

Default advanced lookup/index-match problem

Hi!

Try this:

Entered as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=MIN(IF((A1:A8="cl")*(B1:B8="o"),C1:C8))

Format as DATE

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

E1 = cl
F1 = o

=MIN(IF((A1:A8=E1)*(B1:B8=F1),C1:C8))

Biff

"tx12345" wrote in
message ...

Hi

Let's say I have this set of data
_ a_b_c
1 cl_o_5/15/06
2 cl_c_4/21/06
3 dj_o_6/19/06
4 dj_c_8/2/06
5 bp_o_3/21/06
6 oj_o_7/7/06
7 bo_c_7/15/06
8 cl_o_3/1/06

OK, so we have three columns of data: symbol, status (open or closed),
and a date.

Now, without having to do any special sorting, is there a way to find
out, using the list just the way it is, what the oldest date is for all
open cl trades, and then all bp trades, etc?

How can I tell excel to:

"take a look inside of column A for all instances of cl, where column B
says "O", and make note of the date of each trade. Then, having gathered
the list of all relevant dates, tell me what the oldest date of the
bunch is. Thanks"

Looking at the cl trades, the oldest open trade is 3/1/06

Any ideas are welcome.

Many thanks

tx

--