Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] arg@epost.de is offline

Default Lookup between two margins / brackets

Hello Biff,

Thanks for your input.

Firstly, the dot is not a decimal mark, it's really meant as a dot (and
where I live the decimal sign is the comma). That's the format of the
article numbers I work with. It's 3 digits - dot - 2 digits - dot - 3
digits. (Sometimes with an occasional letter in between, but that
shouldn't bother us right now).

My experience with Excel (correct me if I am wrong) is that it knows
how to sort those expression. It treats them like numbers, so no need
to remove or replace the dots.

Secondly, my formula is =SUMPRODUCT(--('Product
Groups'!$A$2:$A$42<=Sheet1!A1);--('Product
Groups'!$B$2:$B$42=Sheet1!A1))

Sheet1!A1 is the lookup value, and in 'Product Groups' we find the
columns Min (A), Max (B) and Group (C). This formula does not have to
be entered as an array formula.

The solution I am looking for is, in clear text: If you find the lookup
value to be part of a range in the array (in other words if the result
of the formula above is TRUE), then go to column C in that particular
row (that column has the Product Group name) and give me the value you
find there. If the sumproduct is FALSE, give me "no group".

I appreciate your help.

Andreas