Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
scojerroc scojerroc is offline

Default Text to Columns

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. As to your answer, I've taken to
using F&R myself. Was hoping to avoid that, because often I'll get data
where that's not practical, being hard to find a character that does not
already exist within the data.

Thanks for the help, though.

"Wiley" wrote:

Oops. I left out a step. After step 1, you should also format the cells as
"Text". Otherwise, your trailing spaces will still dissappear.

"Wiley" wrote:

The parsing is not working because it is stripping trailing spaces. i don't
know how to stop iot other than fooling it. Try using a temp character.
There may be a better approach, but this will work if you don't get another
answer.

Before doing a text to columns, make a copy of the text in question. You
may need to modify the procedure some to meet your specific output
requirements.

1. Highlight the text in question.
2. Perform a Find and Replace. In the 'Find what' box, type 2 spaces. In
the 'Replace with' box type an uncommon chaaracter (one not likely to be in
your text - 2 times. I recommend "^^". ( I use 2 characters so that if it
does nto attempt to replace single spaces between words.)
3. Now do the text to columns using "Master^^^^" and "^^^^" for your
splits.
4. Now you have to remove your temp characters. In the 'Find what' box
type "^^", and in the 'Repalce with' box, type in 2 spaces. All should be
well.

Let us know how it worked out.

"scojerroc" wrote:

When I parse text, Excel trims the result. Is there a way to avoid this?

For example, I have a cell with "Master " and I want to split it into
"Master " and " ". When I try, it returns "Master" and "".

Any suggestions?