Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Lookup certain text within a cell, PLEASE HELP!

Put the letter combinations in say B1,C1,D1, etc.

In B2, enter

=--LEFT(A2,2)=B$1

and copy across

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"asimpleman" wrote in message
ps.com...
oldchippy- thanks very much you solved part of my problem!
I dont think i was clear enough in my question. In addition to finding
"AA" and returnign a "1" or "0", I also need to check to see if BB, HH
or any other two letter combination is found in a cell.
So if the cell includes "BB, HH, CC" I would want to be able to check
if the cell includes bb and then retrun a result, then check if the
cell has hh, and return this result in a different cell. each result
checking for one specific two letter combination. i know this is not as
clear as can be, but hopefully someone will be able to help me!
Thanks!!
oldchippy wrote:
Wrote:
There is a source cell that can contain any combination of AA, BB, HH,
and other 2 letter text separated by commas.
For example cell A1 can have "AA, HH"
cell b2 can have "AA, BB, HH"
I want to set up a formula so that another cell can check cell a1 or
b2
and see if "AA" is found in that cell and if it does, to return a "1".
If the cell does not have "AA" in it then it would return a "0." Is
this at all possible? Thanks!

Hello asimpleman,

If your AA are always the left most characters, then if your item is in
A1

B1 should have this

=IF(LEFT(A1,2)="AA",1,0)

oldchippy :)