Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default backup

Which version of Excel are you running?

"Backup" means different things in different versions.

Since 2002 debuted there is no incremental backup. Just Autorecovery which
creates a temp file while you're working with a workbook.

If the workbook is closed, whether saved or not, the temp file is deleted.

If Excel crashes while you're working on the workbook, the temp file is saved
and presented the next time you open Excel.

To turn off Autorecovery go to ToolsOptionsSave and disable autorecovery.

Prior to 2002 Excel had an AUTOSAVE add-in which made incremental saves to the
actual workbook. It overwrote the file as you worked on it.

If you have AUTOSAVE enabled go to ToolsAdd-ins and uncheck it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:04:02 -0700, gall wrote:

Excel is automatically saving/creating a backup while I am working. How do I
turn this off/change the settings?

Thanks,
Tricia Gall