Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PeterM PeterM is offline

Default Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

Many thanks to you for the help, Wiley, CLR and Bill. I'm on the road,
making the rounds. I will answer back tonight...PeterM
"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Yes, in a way. You could name a cell or a range of cells -
Click on -
<Insert<Name<Define
Type the name
Click on <OK

If you had a cells named ABC and DEF you could add the cells by typing the
formula =ABC+DEF

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"PeterM" wrote in message
I have several abbreviations representing numbers in a spreadsheet that I
like to automate. I have for instance MGT to VW representing 3 miles than
back to MGT then being 6 miles. Is there a way I can have a formula that
can read MGT VW MGT and that will give a 6 mile total count. I then also
have MGT AUDI ACURA BMW VW MGT. That is a trip I make with my car, and
they all add little mileage to my spreadsheet amounting to 19 miles total.
MGT to AUDI is 5 mi, AUDI to ACURA is 4 miles, ACURA to BMW is 6 miles,
BMW to VW is 1 mi, and the VW to MGT is 3 miles. There are more
destinations, but once I have the idea on how to do it, I can add the
miles for different places.......Peter