Ken Wright

Hi Harlan, how about the following with no need to array enter I think?

=LOOKUP(2,1/(C1:C2000<""),ROW(C1:C2000))

Are there any instances where the MATCH function would catch it that the
LOOKUP wouldn't. I've only just started playing with this use of the
function based on some posts of Aladin's in Mr Excel so just curious.

Regards
Ken.............

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

"Myrna Larson" wrote...
To use a worksheet function, if you have a column that never contains
embedded blank cells, you can write something like =COUNTA(A:A). Or,
if you know which column will be the longest, say C, you can use an
array formula something like this

=MAX(IF(ISBLANK(C1:C2000),0,ROW(C1:C2000)))

Enter this with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. Change the number 2000, if necessary, to
some number that you know is too high.

More efficient to use the array formula

=MATCH(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(C1:C2000)))