Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PeterM PeterM is offline

Default Can I have words representing numbers in a formula?

I have several abbreviations representing numbers in a spreadsheet that I
like to automate. I have for instance MGT to VW representing 3 miles than
back to MGT then being 6 miles. Is there a way I can have a formula that can
read MGT VW MGT and that will give a 6 mile total count. I then also have
MGT AUDI ACURA BMW VW MGT. That is a trip I make with my car, and they all
add little mileage to my spreadsheet amounting to 19 miles total. MGT to
AUDI is 5 mi, AUDI to ACURA is 4 miles, ACURA to BMW is 6 miles, BMW to VW
is 1 mi, and the VW to MGT is 3 miles. There are more destinations, but once
I have the idea on how to do it, I can add the miles for different
places.......Peter