Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Extracting first value of each month

=INDEX(B1:B1000,MATCH(MAX(IF((YEAR(A1:A1000)=2005) *(MONTH(A1:A1000)=2),A1:A1
000)),A1:A1000,0))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Number_Cruncher" wrote in message
Hello,

How do you extract the first value (plus the date) of each month out of
a series?

Example
2/4/05 data
2/12/05 data
2/13/05 data
3/1/05 data
3/2/05 data
etc

In this sample I only want to pull:
2/4/05 data
3/1/05 data

In reality I have a large dataset I am working with (15 years with
weekly entries). I just want to pull the first value (and date) of each
month.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al