Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mwise Mwise is offline

Default multiple x axis labels

"HEK" wrote:

Hi:
Frankly, I am a bit confused what you want. But if you want to display
three levels of x-axis labels (Fruit/Veg - Type - Rank) then I think you can
do following.
Assuming yr data are in A1:D7, remove A3,4 and A6,7 (so 2x Fruit and 2x
Veg). Format yr rank as text (or replace them by A,B,C). Now select A1:D7,
and follow the wizard. It shd display cat.axis labels with closest to the
axis the rank, below the type (separated by long lines) and below that
"Fruit" resp "Veg" arching the three types above, vusalized by a separating
longer line. The price is the displayed data series.
HTH,
Henk

Yes, that's what I did originally did, but the three level of x-axis labels
couldn't be justifed top/bottom/middle when rotated 90degrees and wrapped to
two lines. I finally gave up with trying to do two x-axes and multiple
series and came up with a hack of adding a x-axis title with the most generic
categories at the bottom, spaced out with blanks. That only worked because
those categories were always fixed instead of variable like the
sub-categories and the ranks. Also turning off Auto-scaling helped with
getting the x-axis label onto one line.

Thanks,