Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dakotasteve dakotasteve is offline

Default Data validation

Hi Gordon
YOur comments regarding the use of a named range on another worksheet are
exactly what I assumed from reading my Excel texts, however, in my example,
when I name the range in another worksheet and reference it, the validation
process ignores it, but when I refer to "MyList" (the named range) and place
it on the same worksheet in a column to the right of where my validation
occurs, it works fine. Very strange.
Steve
--
DakotaSteve

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Steve

If you name the list range on the other sheet or workbook(if open) then it can
be used in DV.

In the source dialog you would enter =MyList where MyList is a named range.

This goes all the way back to Excel 97 and has not changed so no fix required.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:41:02 -0700, dakotasteve
wrote:

Thanks Larry
I am using Excel 2002, I think what I have discovered is that the named list
range has to be on the same worksheet where the validation is occuring in
order for the validation function to work. I don't know if Excel 2003 fixed
this or not!
thx all