Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Default Difficulty in transposing

In B13: =SUM(#REF!/52)

You got the error above because you probably earlier deleted the row or col
which previously contained the cell referenced. Once we have the formulas
carefully set-up and running in the book, it's usually best to have to just
*clear* the cell contents of data input cells (press Delete key) in routine
ops/updates. Avoid subsequent deletion of entire rows or cols which
invariably messes things up. We should also avoid having to insert new rows
within the data area. This may also throw things off somewhere else within
the formulas set-up.

in B10 I have =SUM(B8/52).
And the same the whole way across for each categeory. But when I try to transpose the B10 row, to start a budget sheet I run into trouble.

Assume the above is what you have in sheet: Budget
Lets say we want to transpose link what's in B10, C10, D10 in sheet: Budget
in a new sheet, beginning with say, cell B2 (in the new sheet)

We could place in B2:
=INDEX(Budget!$B$10:$IV$10,,ROW(A1))

This returns the same as the simple link formula: =Budget!B10
When we copy B2 down to B3, B3 will then return the same as: =Budget!C10
and so on, to yield the required transpose of the horizontal source cells in
sheet: Budget into a vertical linked range here, in the new sheet.

--
Max
Singapore
"Richard J" wrote:

Max,
Thanks for following this up. The formula bar
reads:=SUM(#REF!/52).
The cell in question is B13.
To explain further, the sheet is called Budget and in B3 is the
word 'In' and in C3 is the word 'Out' and from D3 onwards are the
various categorys. Then in B4: ='Quart Results'!F8 the first linked
cell, then in B5: ='Quart Results'!F13, B6: ='Quart Results'!F20 and in
B7: ='Quart Results'!F26. Then in B8: =SUM(B4:B7), the years total. Then
in B9 I have =SUM(B8/12) and in B10 I have =SUM(B8/52).
And the same the whole way accross for each categeory. But when I
try to transpose the B10 row, to start a budget sheet I run into
trouble.

Hope this is more help.

Thanks again for your time,
Richard.