Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Annxqz Annxqz is offline

Default the drag feature in combining cells won't work

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Assuming your last name is in A2, first name in B2 and maiden name in
C2, then enter this formula in D2:

=A2&", "&B2&" ("&C2&")"

and copy this formula down as necessary. Note that this does not check
for blanks, so if you do not have a maiden name you will have " ()" at
the end of the combined names. If all the cells are blank, you will get
" , ()"

Hope this helps.

Pete

Annxqz wrote:
I am trying to combine 3 columns. I have watched the demo and the drag
feature to get the other cells to merge won't work. I also have (brackets)
around the 3rd column and it won't show in the combined cell. Is there any
way to make it show up with the brackets? I am trying to combine last name,
first name, maiden name of women (with brackets around it) to designate
maiden name.

Pete, thanks for the answer, but I still can't get the drag feature to work. The formula populates D2 and now has the maiden name, but when I highlight it and drag down the D column to put the others in the column like D2 I get nothing but a blank cell all the way down the column. The demo says you don't have to enter a formula in each cell, just highlight and drag and it will do it for you. What am I doing wrong?