Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jenny jenny is offline

Default How can I count IF, then, else statements that have values?

a pivot table won't work

"Scoops" wrote:

Jenny wrote:
I'm thinking maybe a macro...the perimeters are always going to change and
there is multiple values. There are 4 possible values in the first column
and 7 values in the 2nd, but multiple rows.

"Scoops" wrote:

Jenny wrote:
I tried Count if statements and sum statements, but nothing is working. I
have 2 columns Ex: If "Jane" from column 1 and "Dog" in column 2 then print
the total number it repeats. This sheet is large. Here's and Example:
Here's the data
Jane Dog
Jim Dog
Jeff Dog
Jane Cat
Jim Dog
Jane Dog
Here is what the cells should print (just the number)
JaneDog = 2
JimDog = 2
JeffDog = 1
JaneCat = 1

Hi Jenny

If your data is in the range A1:B6, then you could put your parameters
("Jane" and "Dog")
in A8 and B8 and in C8 type:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6=A8)*(B1:B6=B8))

Either change the parameters as you want or put an exhaustive list
(A8:B11 in your example above) and copy the formula down to C11.

Regards

Steve

Hi Jenny

A Pivot Table should be able to do the work you want.

Regards

Steve