Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Too many markers on line chart makes it a thick line and individual markers cannot be seen

You can achieve the required result by plotting every tenth (for example)
data point
Suppose the y-values are in B2:B1001 with label in B1
In C2 enter =IF(MOD(row(),10)=0,B2,NA())
Copy down to C1001
Select the x-values (A1:A1001), hold CTRL and select the new y-values
(C1:C1002) and make the chart
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"denzel" wrote in message
I have lots of data to be plotted and when I choose a marker to be
displayed, the resultant line just looks like a thicker line. You can't
individually pick out the marker being used. Without messing with the
input data, is there any way to get Excel to place a marker every 10th or
20th data point instead of every data point?

I still want the line to plot the entire data. And I don't want to have
to manipulate my source data. If I only plot every 10th data point, I may
miss peaks that occur between the 10th points. And it's too cumbersome to
pick the data by hand out of the hundreds of data points.

I want to continue to use markers instead of colors or dashed lines to
differential my graphed lines.

Smaller symbols won't help since the data is so closely plotted together.

Is there some easy solution to this?

Thanks.