Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Conditional Formula to indicate Formula in cell

Thanks, Chuck....
I saw that technique a some time ago. I want to say it's from David
McRitchie..(but, I'm not sure).

***********
Best Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"CLR" wrote:

That's cool Ron..........most cool. It works fine in XL97 SR2.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

My preference would be to have an Override Cell next to the formula cell.
Dependent formulas would use the formula if the Override Cell is blank.

But...regarding what you asked for, try this:

From the Excel main menu:
<insert<name<define
Names in Workbook: IsFormula
Refers to: =GET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))

Note: Get.Cell is from the old Excel macro function language. The 48
argument makes it return TRUE for formulas (otherwise: FALSE)

Caution: I seem to recall GET.CELL might cause an issue in XL97 or XL2000 (I
can't remember). So, save first, before you try this technique.

Next...
Select the cell that will either contain a formula or a constant.
<format<conditional formatting
Formula Is: =(IsFormula=FALSE)
then...Click the [formatting] button and adjust the format and you're done

If the cell contains a constant....the conditional format will display.
Otherwise, the default format will be used.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"SteveW" wrote:

I've got a formula in a column, but in certain circumstances I may
overwrite this formula with a number (too rare a special case to bother
covering)

What I'd like though is to use Conditional Formatting to alter cell to
Bold or something to show that this is *a manual override*

Can't see how you can check for formula present ?

Any ideas ?

--
Steve (3)