Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

I have a list of name of chemicals. The names may start with
numbers, like 1,2-dichlorobutane. Right now, if I sort the list,
the names start with numbers would be on the top. How do I make it
ignore nubmers and sort alphabetically?

-----------

I'm not aware of any way to do that directly. If it were me, I'd create
a new column that has the numbers stripped off and then just sort on
that column. Your example shows a "-" between the numbers and letters.
If all your names are formatted like that then it's easy to strip off
the numbers from A1 by:

[A2] = right(a1,len(a1)-find("-",a1))

Otherwise, if you can't rely on that hyphen, then I'd personally have to
give up and write some kind of VBA routine to strip off the numbers.
Perhaps someone else here will have a more inspired suggestion.

Good luck...

Bill