Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
asevie asevie is offline

Default Formula...function...how to?

Fairly simple problem as far as logic is concerned, but I've never tried
to replicate this type of forumula in Excel. Perhaps some advice...

I'm duplicating a weight and balance slide rule used for aircraft
center of gravity calculations. In this particular aircraft, as fuel is
burned, the center of gravity changes exponentially. For example,
between 0 and 5000 pounds of fuel burn has a linear change on the
index, for each 1000 pounds there is a change of approximately 0.17 on
the index scale, between 5000 and 10000, the number goes to 0.2, etc.
I've got all of these plotted in a simple 2 column spreadsheet. What I
would like to do is fill in the total fuel capacity, say 7800 pounds,
and have the spreadsheet look to the 2 closest values and extrapolate
the number. So, for the above example 7800, the function or formula
would look to my nearest values, -2.4 for 7000 and -2.6 for 8000, and
arrive at the the correct -2.56.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thank you.

--
asevie
asevie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36939