Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MLK MLK is offline

Default Help please... Simple calculation - with unexpected results

Yes! The rounding works perfectly! Thanks so much.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

I get the answer that you expect (Excel 2000). Check what is in cells
A2 and B2 - if these contain formulae then they may result in values
like 100.2 or .442, but your formatting does not allow you to see the
extra digits. To ensure that your formula returns the correct result,
you could amend it thus:

=ROUND(A2,0)*50*37.5*0.85*ROUND(B2,2)

I've removed the brackets around the numbers as they are not needed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

MLK wrote:
I am getting unexpected results from a simple multiplication formula. Column
A contains rates, Column B contains billing discounts and Col C calculates
the billing $.

For example: Col A = 100, Col B = .44 and Column C calculation is: a2*(
50*37.5*0.85)*b2
Both Column B and C display only 2 decimals.

The answer that comes out is $70,492.79 but I'm expecting $70,125. It
appears to be calculating at 7 decimal places but should only be calculating
at 2. When I enter the actuals numbers into a function (100*1593.75*.44)
the answers comes out right (70,125).

Am I missing something basic? I have done a ton of formulas but have not
come across this before.