Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May Jim May is offline

Default Subtotals

You can use the Subtotaled Sheet as a basis for getting what you want.
Click on the "2" level to see the Sub-total amounts only. Then Highlight the
area (including headers); With the area you want to copy Selected - at the
Menu, select Edit, GoTo... Click the Speicail.. button and on the resulting
dialog box look on the right side near the bottom and check the Visible Cells
Only item. OK out

Now do a Copy, go to a new blank sheet and do Edit Paste-Special - Values
That should get you there.

HTH,
Jim

"Dave" wrote:

I have a rather large spreadsheet (~12000 entries) which contains inventory
data. I have many parts which are in multiple location, but I just want a
subtotal by part number of the quantities in all locations.

I tried subtotal, and the sheet shows the subtotals, but it opens up an
outline view or something to that effect, and I want just the summary
information on that sheet or be able to copy to another worksheet. But no
matter what I do, I either get a grand total entry or all entries, including
each location. How do I obtain just the subtotal data where I can perform
further functions like VLOOKUP (for another sheet).

I tried Pivot Table but it comes back and says something like too many items.

I'll readily admit I'm an amateur at subtotals. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Dave