Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico Miguel Zapico is offline

Default file path: reference to other workbooks

You may need to use the function INDIRECT.EXT. It is not on the standard
Excel, you have to download it. Check this page for the syntaxis and check
if it fits your needs:
http://xcell05.free.fr/english/moref...direct.ext.htm

Hope this help,
Miguel.

"muster" wrote:

The file links to different workbooks by conditions, I can get the file
name, path, etc,

such as:

in A1: ="c:\abc\"&lastmonth&".xls" -- c:\abc\june.xls

or A1: ="c:\abc\"&"["lastmonth&".xls]" -- c:\abc\[june.xls]

I name A1 as LastFile, how can I use it to reference a cell in that
file? like

=c:\abc\[june.xls]total!a1

I tried a few combinations but didn't work, what is the correct format?
Thank you.