Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Walter Mayes Walter Mayes is offline

Default Raffle winning odds (off topic)

Thank you Bernie and BJ. Your responses will "tax" this old grey head of
mine. :-) I'll work through a few examples and hopefully get a spreadsheet
working.

Thanks
Walter Mayes

you are a little off,
use the
=HYPGEOMDIST(0,20,15,2000)
functionto find the probability of not winning at least one
subtract this from 1
your chance of winning at least one prize is 14.04 %

every time a non winning ticket is picked there are fewer tickets to pick
from
so the the calc is (1985/2000*1984/1999*1983/1998* ... *1966/1981) for the
chance of not winning one out of twenty tickets.

The chance of winning a specific number of prizes is more complicated in
that you have to add the combo function since the winning ticket could be
any
of your twenty

"Walter Mayes" wrote:

This is off topic for this group but was hoping someone could give me
an
answer.

Total tickets sold: 2000
Chances to win: 15
Tickets held: 20

Would my chances of winning a prize simply be 2000/15/20= 1 in 6.667
?

The above seems logical but a little too simple. :-)

Walter Mayes