Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stephen Reid Stephen Reid is offline

Default Drop down data validation

Thanks Jim, I had thought about this but wasn't 100% sure how to do it.

"Jim May" wrote in message
You could use the Active-X Control Combobox;

On your spreadsheet - Go (at the menu) View, Toolbars, Control Toolbox;
1) Drag a ComboBox to a clear space.
2) Click on the Properties icon on toolbox - Prop Sheet shoud come up.
3) Fill In the following settings:
a) ListFillRange (G1:H10) ' your lookup range
b) LinkedCell: A1 - Where you want your choice dropped
c) Column Count: 2 ' your # of columns to show
d) BoundColumn: 1 ' the column Number you want to select to post

Click on the TOP LEFT ICON (the design-mode) to turn-off and make
The Combo box available for use;
Give it a try

Hope this helps

"Stephen Reid" wrote in message
:

Hi

I know how to create drop down lists in data validation but I am looking
get a little extra. Currently I create a list in A1:A10 create a range
name
for the list and then use that named range in the data validation screen.
However, what I want now is:

Create a list in A1:A10 and a description in B1:B10 for example:

A B
1001 Coffee
1002 Tea
1003 Hot Chocolate

I would like the to see both the name and the description in the drop
down
but once selected only select the data from column A. Don't know if this
can be done, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen