Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
John John is offline

Default sheet names

I am writing macros. I have about 150-200 sheets. I want to either find
something or insert something by sheet name in several of my programs.
Apparently there's no way to do it in existing excel functions. It would
seem fundemental to me to be able to find out the name of, say, sheet 42
in my program.

John

SteveW wrote:

'Cos 99% of users can just read the sheet name.
anyway no need to have a function for everything that can be provided
using the existing tools/functions :)

Steve

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:37:57 +0100, John wrote:

Amazing! Thank you. It seems strange excel doesn't have something to
do this.

John

Max wrote:

"John" wrote:

What returns the name of a worksheet in a workbook if you are in
the workbook.
for instance: findit(1) gives the name of sheet 1.

Try this technique, from a post by Harlan
Click Insert Name Define
Put under "Names in workbook:": WSN
Put in the "Refers to:" box:
=MID(CELL("Filename",INDIRECT("A1")),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",INDIRECT("A1")
))+1,32)
Click OK
The above defines WSN as a name we can use to refer to the
sheetname in formulas, etc. It will auto-extract the sheetname
implicitly. To test it, just enter in any cell in any sheet*: =WSN
and the name of that sheet will be returned
*Note: Workbook must be saved for the above to work, ie a name
given to book