Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
SteveW SteveW is offline

Default Sum in numbers for text values

Neat - never thought of using that trick :)

Steve

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:25:34 +0100, Bernie Deitrick <deitbe consumer dot
org wrote:

Andy,

The array formula (entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

=SUM(IF(A1:A1000<"",1/COUNTIF(A1:A1000,A1:A1000)))

will count the number of unique entries in A1:A1000.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"asgh77" wrote in
message

Help! I have been asked by work to create a spreadsheet for tracking the
number of companies we are speaking to. I need to calculate the total
number of companies in a certain column but some companies are listed
twice as we have different contacts in each company.

Do I need to somehow convert the text in to a numerical value in order
to total each column and how do I go about excluding duplicates?

Thanks

Andy