Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Kernow Girl Kernow Girl is offline

Default Sum in numbers for text values

Hi asgh77 -

try Data / Subtotals -

I ended up with the column below showing each value and how many, I then did
a bog standard count at the bottom (does not count text values).

any
any
any
anyCount 3
fred
fred Count 1
gowe
gowe Count 1
jowe
jowe Count 1
hopt
hopt Count 1

5
Hope this helps --- Dika

"asgh77" wrote:

Help! I have been asked by work to create a spreadsheet for tracking the
number of companies we are speaking to. I need to calculate the total
number of companies in a certain column but some companies are listed
twice as we have different contacts in each company.

Do I need to somehow convert the text in to a numerical value in order
to total each column and how do I go about excluding duplicates?

Thanks

Andy

--
asgh77