Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default Sorting By Values...NOT Formulas

Excel always sorts on values, not on formulas.

The only way Excel will sort on a "formula" is if it's stored as text in the
cell. You can tell what it sorts on by what it displays in the cell. Is it
displaying the formula or the result? If it is displaying the formula, you need
to change the format to General, F2 the formula, then F9 (recalc) it. When you
get the result displayed, that's what Excel will sort on.

By the way, your formula can be simplified to =Sheet1!A1

Fred

"AntnyMI" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "source data" worksheet and a "summary" sheet. The summary
sheet contains If Formulas referencing the source data sheet. Ex:
=IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1). The problem is that when I sort the
data on the summary sheet, it sorts by the formula contained within the
cell. Is there a way to force it to sort based on value instead?