Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] nathan.best@gmail.com is offline

Default Leading Zeros

Kooster,
I have no access to the data entry portion of the file. It's created by
seperate departments. and Uploaded into the datatel management server.
Nathan

Kooster wrote:
As you do the data entry of the Zip, precede the numerics with an apostrophe
(') character. This will left align the numeric and retain it as a text entry.

On entry '00000-0000
In the sheet it should look like this 00000-0000

P.
--
Overcome Sales Barriers
http://salesbarriers.typepad.com/

"Nestor" wrote:

did you try formating the zip code column as text?

wrote:
Hello,
I am having a recurring problem. I am in a Copy Mail Center and I do an
excessive amount of data merges. The only problem with this is that I
live in Mass where the zip codes all start with 021. Now when I do a
data merge with word or publisher importing the xls file it removes the
zip codes leading zeroes. Even if I have set the column name to zip
code. So now I have to create an extra text file. This adds time that I
don't really have time for. I usually receive the file. Import to there
document and then print, now I have to open the excel file save as a
CSV or txt then import it into publisher or word. I do an average of 53
mail merges a week. How can I stop excel from removing my leading
zeroes permanently.

Thank you in advance for any Help.

Nathan Best

*Other info - The data is sent to me from DataTel Networks. I have
discussed this with them and they have told me there is nothing they
can do on there end. So I am out of luck with that.