Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi Bondi is offline

Default Find max value in a row and return column title

Jshendel wrote:
Hello.
I would like to find a maximum value across a row of 24 and return the title
I have given that column.
So, if the max value of row R is in cell R20, I would like the function to
return the name in cell A20.
Thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. But I hope this
works.
This formula will look in ROW 20 and find the largst value in the
column A to X (if more at same value return the first) and return the
contents of ROW 1 in the column where the largst value is encountered.

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(MAX(A20:X20),A20:X20,0)) )

Regards,
Bondi