Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alyssa Alyssa is offline

Default cell will not change

Hi Max - I've tried everything you've suggested including reformatting the
whole sheet. It seems that here are no 'normal' cells anywhere in the sheet
as the =LEN(cellref) formula simply displays exactly as typed no matter how
many times I hit the enter button from within that cell. I did try this
formula in a new sheet and it returned an answer no problem. Could it be that
for some reason the whole worksheet has been infected?
"Max" wrote:

"Alyssa" wrote:
Hi Max - I did everything you suggested and it still wouldn't let me change
it. Do you have any other suggestions?

From your responses given to Peo and Gord, perhaps the entire sheet may have
been formatted as text. Try selecting the entire sheet, then click Format
Cells General OK. Then try again the original suggestions given. Note
that you need to re-confirm the formulas suggested (eg click inside the
formula bar, then press ENTER) before the formulas will work. Merely
re-formatting the sheet to General (from Text) will not fire the formulas.
--
Max
Singapore