Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alyssa Alyssa is offline

Default cell will not change

Hi Max - I did everything you suggested and it still wouldn't let me change
it. Do you have any other suggestions?

"Max" wrote:

"Alyssa" wrote:
The cell is currently showing a single digit, eg. 4. I want it to display
$4.00. However when I format the cell to currency with 2 decimal places -
nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

The cell's value is probably a text number. If the cell's value is an entry,
just copy an empty cell, then do a paste special add OK to coerce it to a
real number (we're just adding a zero here in this op). The formatting should
work fine now.

And if it's a formula in the cell (not an entry), eg: =LEFT(A2,1), just add
a zero to it, ie make it as: =LEFT(A2,1)+0. Adding a zero here will likewise
coerce the text number returned by the formula's LEFT(A2,1) to a real number
without impacting the numeric value returned.
--
Max
Singapore