Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Excel won't open the original document!!!

Who knows why windows loses those settings?

But one thing I would do is make sure that extensions are visible--either in
windows explorer or in the title bar in excel.

If you don't see the extensions, you can toggle that setting:

Open Windows Explorer
Tools|Folder Options|View tab
Scroll down just a bit and make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is
not checked.

It should make it easier to know if you're working on a new workbook (based on a
template) or an existing workbook (*.xls).

HannaBlack wrote:

If you are seeing new workbooks (excel/windows is treating it like a template),
then try this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Thanks so much, I reset the registry to factory defaults and it all
works fine now. Before fixing the problem, I had noticed that any .xls
files opened...even in Windows Explorer were only a copy with a little
1 after the file name. Still not sure how someone rigged excel to do
that though... but again, tx for the tip!

--

Dave Peterson