Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric Eric is offline

Default Need formula to retrieve last non-blank cell in range

Ron - Thank you. Yes, your suggestion does solve my problem. But honestly,
it's a bit of a mystery why. The help text for LOOKUP says that the values
have to be in ascending order... but mine are not. So I don't know how it
works.

As to your second formula, it's even more mysterious. Why the 2 as the
first parameter? Also, I don't understand the syntax. What does the
"1/(A1:A100<"")" mean? The help text indicates that the second parameter
must be a "lookup vector" which contains only one row or column. I don't
understand Excel's formula syntax. What does Excel mean by 1 slash an
expression containing a range? What am I missing?

I'm not a novice at this stuff, but I don't understand why this works.

Thanks for your help, and any additional explanation you can offer.

Eric

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try one of these:

Last numeric cell in Col_A:
=LOOKUP(10^99,A:A)

Last non-blank cell in Col_A:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A100<""),A1:A100)

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Eric" wrote:

I'm looking for a function or formula in Excel 2003 which will return the
last non-blank cell in a range. The values in the range are numeric;
however, they're not sorted in numeric order. I could probably figure out
how to write a macro, but I'd prefer a formula. Any suggestions?

Thanks.