Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Brain Clog! Help with formula, please

"PC" wrote in message ...
Someone will probably have an easier solution than this but I'd head for
something like the following (assuming A3 is your raw data):

=IF(LEN(A3)=10, LEFT(A3,5) & "-" & RIGHT(A3,5), MID(A3, 1,5) & "-" &
RIGHT(A3,5))

It's another column but my personal preference is to leave the orginal
data out there so I can check myself later if need be.

I don't mind the extra column. The sheet's also got a bunch of extraneous
data we don't need, so once I have a working formula, I'll copy & paste the
relevant stuff to a neater looking sheet.