Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default Extracting tab names

"In F5 on the same row" should be "In column F, in the same row"

Regards,

Hutch

"Tom Hutchins" wrote:

If (for example) a cell on your consolidating sheet is pulling its data from
Sheet1, cell A4, the following formula will return the sheet name (Sheet1):

=RIGHT(CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4),LEN(CELL("Filena me",Sheet1!A4))-FIND("]",CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4),1))

Alternatively, you could put a formula like the following in a cell (say, E4):
=CELL("Filename",Sheet1!A4)
In F5 on the same row, enter:
=RIGHT(E4,LEN(E4)-FIND("]",E4,1))
Hide column E.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"MLK" wrote:

If this question is out here twice, I apoligize. I submitted it once, but
don't think the question got posted.

I have 6 tabs in an Excel worksheet. I create a 7th tab by consolidating
all the data from the other 6 tabs. Is it possible (by using a function) to
display which tab name the data came from?

For example, if 6 rows of data came from tab 1, I would like to display the
tab name with those 6 rows, and so on.

Thanks,