Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default How can I get auto sum of column when new figures are added

Dave

Is calculation on Automatic under ToolsOptionsCalculation?

OR are the new values entered being treated as text values?

Format all as General then in an adjacent column enter =ISNUMBER(cellref)

If real numbers, TRUE will be returned.

If not numbers, copy a blank cell and select the numbers and Paste
SpecialAddOKEsc

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:19:02 -0700, Dave wrote:

I have put in formula to total a column of figures, it has empty cells for
new items to be entered as they occur. It used to total in new items
automatically, now it will not total in new items. It is a Monthly
spreadsheet. I used" create a copy "to make blank copies to use for following
months. I made changes to existing sheets as I needed to by using CTRL key
and clicked on each future month. this may be why it will not total as new
figures are added.