Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve Yandl Steve Yandl is offline

Default Importing parts of a text file into Excel

You should set a reference to the scripting runtime and use the
FileSystemObject to read the text file one line at a time. You can use the
InStr function to test each line for the "R01" at the very beginning. If
R01 is found, use the Split function to create an array out of the text in
that line and populate the next row of your worksheet with the parts you
want to record.

Steve Yandl

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to import a text file that is in the following format:
Bunch of Junk

R01 27 $99.00 DOE, JOHN 000000000 1234567890
028-000058927 (7713021)
R01 -REASON UNKOWN -

R08 27 $99.00 DOE, JANE 000000000 1234567890
033-000064075 (7713057)
R08 -REASON KNOWN 4443 -

R01 27 $99.16 DOLL, BETSY. 000000000 1234567890
033-000075124 (7713131)
R01 -REASON UNKNOWN -
More Junk

I need to import the data in the example with the following criteria:
- ONLY lines with R01 (so the R08 line would be skipped)
- Need the amount in a column
- First and last name (separated)
- The routing numbers (the 9 digit number that is zeroed out)
- The account numbers (variable length)
- The 13 character string that is below the name

I've looked around and think that macros are the best way to do it.
problem is that I have no understanding as to where to even start.

so anyone that could help me with this I'll greatly approciate it !

Thank you for all your help..