Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] tomaz.vouk@gmail.com is offline

Default similar text matches vlookup

hi,

does anyone have a clue how to use the vlookup or some similar function
to find and show approximate text,number match?

there are 2 columns for example:

1. 2.
ch-223 ch223
67/a23 67-a23

I am just trying to find also similar matches, because I have a large
workbook contain a couple of thousands items, which sometimes differ
only in - or / sign, but the vlookup (false) function, of course, tells
me that it didn't find it. I want to find it and show it or higlight
that row, so I can then manually check the difference and correct it,
if possible. It's a matter of 2 workbooks that came from 2 different
companies, where they have obviously used some other signs for some
products, so I have a bit of a problem now with linking these 2
workbooks.

Thanks.

Tom