Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
humble_t humble_t is offline

Default Creating a dynamic asset allocation chart

I was inspired by a recent E-Trade commercial to build a financial portfolio
pie chart using Excel. The chart I have in mind would show the percent
breakdown of asset allocation (e.g., cash, large cap stocks, small cap stock,
etc). This is the data table format I had in mind:
Financial Institute (column 1), Allocation (column 2), and Amount (column 3)
e.g.,
BofA Cash $1600
Fidelity Large Cap $1000
Fidelity Cash $101

As I update my allocation, say, move some cash to small cap stocks, the
chart would automatically display my new portfolio breakdown.

The problem I'm running into is this: when I try to create such a pie chart,
each row (series) is created as its own slice (e.g., BofA cash, Fidelity
Large Cap, Fidelity cash) rather than grouping a single "cash" category. Is
it possible for Excel to dynamically look for cells with the same content
(say, "Cash") and add the corresponding amount to form a single slice?

Thanks in advance!