Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kikilein kikilein is offline

Default separating text from cells

daddylonglegs,

I am getting soooo close with your formulas. One is extracting the first
name correctly and the other extracts the last name. However, I am still
having trouble seperating the middle initial and the formula:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",A1)),MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,1),"")

is giving me nothing (the cell stays empty.

To clarify. I have a long list of names. For example:

Joe T. Schmoe
Karen K. Canterberry
Simone Karter
Lois-Martin Fender

I would like to end up with three columns. One with firstname, one with
middle initial (if there is one) and one with the lastname.

Thank you very much for trying to help (all of you).

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

You haven't really said what you want to do,

If you want a column of first names, a column of surnames and a column
of initials (when they exist) you could use these formulas in B1, C1
and D1 for data in A1

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

=REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1)+(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",A1)))*3,"")

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",A1)),MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,1),"")

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486