Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default Sorting - cells containing numbers, numbers and letters

Hi Gunny,
see
Sorting, Some notes on sorting in Excel
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
---
HTH,

"Gunny" wrote in message ...
This should be simple to do ...but I'm stumped. I have a spreadsheet with
legislative district numbers that contain numbers while others contain
numbers and letters:

1
2
2a
2b
3
4
4a
4b
4c
5
etc.

I have tried converting the cell format to text and that does not work.
Please understand that I am not Excel literate and any answer must be in
simple but detailed terms that someone who could break a crowbar in a sandbox
can understand.