Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
paul paul is offline

Default Excel Addition Error

i get 4496180
i suspect you have a rounding error from somewhere else
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"dwright" wrote:

Open an Excel spreadsheet, format a column as numeric, no decimals, and paste
in the following 8 values:

442,528
1,477,789
17,942
130,714
84,053
524,606
1,724,962
93,586

Sum them. You will get the answer 4,496,179. The correct answer is
4,496,180. I would suggest you incorporate round-off error correction
routines in your math calculations. This is strictly a newbie error, and I'm
frankly amazed that you haven't caught it yet.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.