Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo Marcelo is offline

Default Extracting a number in a text string

Hi Pogo,

ok, this is not an excel function, to it run, you must copy the module above
to do it, press Alt+F11 (excel will open a VBA page) click on the INSERT
menu and chose MODULE,

COPY and PASTE the Public Function there, close the vba page and use this
User function on your spreadsheet.

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Pogo" escreveu:

I am a casual user. Is this an embedded function within the Excel software. I
don't think I understand your response.

"Marcelo" wrote:

Hi Pogo,

try this module and use
=digitsonly(a1)

***********************************
Public Function DigitsOnly(sStr As String) As Variant
Dim oRegExp As Object

Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")

With oRegExp
.IgnoreCase = True
.Global = True
oRegExp.Pattern = "\D"

DigitsOnly = oRegExp.Replace(sStr, vbNullString)
End With
End Function
hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Pogo" escreveu:

I need to extract a number from a text string. For example, Cryo Technician
$100.00. I want to extract the $100 rate and use it in another function,
i.e., Rate x hours.

I hope I made myself clear. Thanks in advance.