Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default How do I get my Validation Lists to keep their formatting?

You can't format the items in a data validation dropdown list. However,
you could use conditional formatting to format the cell after an item
has been selected.

To allow any entry in the cell with the data validation dropdown:
Choose DataValidation
On the Error Alert tab, remove the check mark from 'Show error alert
after invalid data is entered'
OR, from the Style dropdown, choose Warning or Information
Click OK

Katie wrote:
I am trying to get the formatting from my List to remain when it is imported
into the drop down list on my spreadsheet.... IE: I have a drop down list
with "Y" for Yes and N for No. The Y is in BOLD Red and the N is in Bold
Black but when I go to the sheet that has the validation drop down list
inserted into it the Y and the N both show up only as black. I need the Y to
show as BOLD Red so that we can track the "Y" easier. Can anyone help?

Also, I have a name list with over a hundred names as a drop down list and
it will not allow the user to freehand a name into the box if the name is
missing from the validation list. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong
there as well?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures